The Reader
-Is an English Language major undergraduate who likes to Take It Easy.
Adores
Words and languages, Jane Austen, period dramas/films, Vitagen, Korean dramas, good songs, better books, Green, wanderlusting, Culture, writing, Experimenting
Things I'd Like
- A Nitendo Wii gaming console
- My own set of rollerblades
- More nail polish (bought just one, neon pink in colour)
- Concert DVDs! (Back to Basics: Live & Down Under by Christina Aguilera, The Black Parade Is Dead by My Chemical Romance , Mika: Live In Cartoon Motion, Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles )
- A cat
Monday, January 7, 2008
Walking to the East Coast
I waited close to half an hour for the bus today (while at the bustop opposite, the same bus number kept whizzing by about six times, I kid you not). It wasn’t even raining, it wasn’t even the peak hours period. What is more, when the bus came, it was filled with students from the school at the previous stop. A few passengers had alighted at our stop, but those inconsiderate students refused to budge, refused to move up the bus to make space for us folks waiting outside with our noses nearly touching the entrance door. The bus driver apologetically waved at us, and drove off. I huffily flagged a cab down, I was going to be one hour late in meeting my friend. The taxi’s signal on top was flashing ‘changing shift to Toa Payoh’ and when I shouted ‘Eunos MRT’ to the cab driver through the window, he agreed to take me there. He suggested a couple of routes but I told him to take whichever was fastest. The ride cost me $17 and about 20 minutes. I tell you, the price hikes in taxi cabs (35% GST) are nothing to laugh about. I was spending my saved money on a freaking taxi fare. I don’t think I even spent that much on one thing during the holidays. And my mum had only given me $10 for the day (for busfare, dinner and skates rental amongst a hissy fit). And it was my first time in a couple of months taking a taxi.
Met my friend at the MRT and took bus 13 to East Coast Parkway. I thought I would definitely know where to get off. I mean, I took a bus to East Coast before which stopped directly in front of the McDonald’s there. Well, bus 13 stops a couple of roads off, blocked by a few housing buildings, the right stop that is. We stopped at the one after. And had to walk all the way to East Coast Parkway. I didn’t quite think we would ever reach the beach park. I rented blades at $10 for 2 hours while my friend’s bike cost $6 for 2 hours. And I got a pair of stinky hand pads. Well, my skating still kinda sucks. I dragged my feet on the ground a lot and was still wobbly now and then, and I don’t really dare to use the one brake on the back of my right skate. Anyway, I didn’t skate so slow as to slow down my friend. Her riding speed happened to be the same as my skating.
How was the going? The pathways were virtually EMPTY, kilos and metres and miles deserted. Yes, on a Monday late afternoon, nearing 6ish, only a lone jogger or two. It was such a shockingly pleasant surprise, and sooo different from your weekend crowd scene. And the weather was…cooling! No late afternoon sun beating down on us at all. It had threatened to rain but it did not. There was a large group of guys in army uniform too. Apparently, they were having some sort of training there, having to don their full gear and carry guns and jog together as a group. It was amusing to see them looking so serious, at East Coast Park. Anyway, we were undisturbed by annoying kids or beginner bladers who usually clogged the paths. Halfway, we came across Castle Beach. I didn’t know one existed. There was a sandcastle exhibition, I think it was my first seeing a proper sand-castle you know? Anyway, the beach is set aside for people to build castles and such, and for charity events organized around this activity.

We stopped for dinner at the hawker centre shortly after. And then…made a mad rush back to the rental place before our lockers were locked up at 7pm. I think I dashed back in about ten minutes flat and it seemed my skating suddenly improved in that short amount of time. I was gliding smoothly and determinedly. My friend, she was also suddenly faster, faster than me, but apparently, she overshot the right place by so much. Cuz I ended up waiting half an hour for her afterI skated back to the rental place. -_- Surprisingly, I didn’t incur any tummy ache, after skating so vigorously right after eating, I think…one’s upper body don’t move so much when skating, one is mostly only working the leg muscles. Then we went in to the McD’s to Recuperate and Reflect. I wistfully commented if only I lived near East Coast, I’d drop by there anytime. And it’s not a madhouse at all on weekdays, with only an odd tourist or two. My friend wished out loud for a boyfriend, cuz two couples were sitting on our two sides and talking softly. I giggled and knew she was half-joking but mostly serious. That moment reminded me of another friend whom I took the bus with one night, and you could see couples on the bus resting their heads on each other’s shoulders, and that friend wishing out loud the same thing. Well, I so do not think boyfriends are something to yearn about. It’s just a bonus, and when the time comes, it comes. Until then, enjoy your singlehood man. :D I found out more facts about my friend today during the skating/biking…about how her older brother ran away from home from a young age…how she herself moved out to stay in the hostel when she quarreled with her mum…humans are really not easy. Then, we made a move to try to catch a bus back to Eunos MRT. Walked and walked to the right busstop, crossed an overhead bridge for nothing, and then, we had to walk for quite sometime after getting off. I really exercised (my legs) a whole lot today. Why is East Coast so inaccessible? Oh, and I bought a shirt today at the This Fashion outlet at the MRT. Not so much a guilty splurge, because, the front of the shirt was a collage of things Italian. And you know how I wanna migrate to Italy, I like that shirt.

11:30 PM