The Reader
-Is an English Language major undergraduate who likes to Take It Easy.
Adores
Words and languages, Jane Austen, period dramas/films, Vitagen, Korean dramas, good songs, better books, Green, wanderlusting, Culture, writing, Experimenting
Things I'd Like
- A Nitendo Wii gaming console
- My own set of rollerblades
- More nail polish (bought just one, neon pink in colour)
- Concert DVDs! (Back to Basics: Live & Down Under by Christina Aguilera, The Black Parade Is Dead by My Chemical Romance , Mika: Live In Cartoon Motion, Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles )
- A cat
Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day 1, officially the start of CNY, after a freaking unbelievable (but thankfully uneventful) close to ten hours (including rest stops) drive to Penang, we headed to Gurney plaza shopping mall and walked around the alfresco area on the first floor (where all the eateries were), before choosing Chili's bar cum restaurant, which offered western and mexican fare.
And, i ordered Fajitas, feeling nonchalantly gastronomically adventurous.


Scene shots,

We all got our food! And took this lovely family shot before tucking in. As you can see, I'm the only one wearing red (and do you know WHY the Chinese wear red on CNY?), but the funny fact is, it's OLD (and you know we're supposed to get new year's clothes), i got it since I was...11? So it's cool vintage, it's like a little black dress, only it's red, and the hemline's pretty high for me now (lucky I wore shorts, cuz it ran up so high while i was sitting down in the car). :P

Coming with our (my mum and I) Fajitas' plate of mixed meat (with mushroom toppings) was a plate of sauces which include spinach, tomato and sour cream, and veggie fillings. What are Fajitas? It's something like Tacos (maybe they're the same? I have no idea). The meat was far far too salty. I think it was the chef's fault, cuz it's almost impossible that people can eat something that salty. But then again, there's this alcoholic drink (possibly of Mexican orgin?), the Margarita (and even tequila) where salt is applied on the rim of the glass. So, who knows? I couldn't finish my portion, it was too much for my tastebud. :D Anyway, how it went was, we were given the taco wraps separately, and we could fill it up inside with the meat and all that by ourselves. The whole finished Fajita then tasted really like your typical pizza. Interesting! I would have finished my fill if only the taste wasn't so salty-weird. To think that I once planned to try out all those mexican restaurants in LA when I really thought I was gonna travel there 2 years ago...

To conclude, it's so funny how I unwittingly got such a cultural food shock. Cuz this was just being discussed in my sociology class recently, where we were asked to examine the food we eat everyday, as it indirectly reflects our heritage :D SO true, the mixed rice stall is where I frequent, at most hawker centres (my mum rarely cooks) . And THAT's PRC kinda food, did u know?

6:41 PM